Thursday, April 11, 2013

Jangiri


Jangiri is a very popular sweet in south india.Wedding feasts in south india are mostly accompanied by this glossy,flower shaped(slurpy!!:))sweets.I think this celebrity sweet had enough intro,so lets go dig in the recipe :) This post is also my second guest post on thasneen cookery website.

Source:Inspired by Vahchef

INGREDIENTS:

Urad dhal - 1 cup
Rice flour - 1 Tbsp
Food Colour(red) - 2  to 3 drops
Ghee/Oil - to fry
Sugar - 2 cups
Rose essence - 4 drops
Cardamon powder - 1/4 tsp
Sliced Almonds/Pistachios/Saffron - for garnishing (opt)
Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp(opt)

METHOD:
  1. Soak Urad dal for 2 hours.
  2. Drain the water and grind  urad dhal to a fine paste.Add the rice flour along with food colour,pulse it for a few times till it is completely mixed.

3.The consistency of batter is checked by putting a drop of the jangiri batter in water.If it floats,then it has the right consistency.Pour the batter into Ziploc bag and pierce a hole in it.

4.Heat Oil/Ghee about 1 inch in a wok.Once the oil is heated,pour the jangiri batter starting from center in swirls to form a circle and also by making small circles on the sides.This art of drawing jangiri is completely your choice.Make it into swirls or a normal circle or any twisted shapes as far as you like it :) 

5.Cook jangiri on both sides.


6.Meanwhile,Heat sugar in a pan along with water to immerse the sugar.Boil it till it becomes thick.Then add the cardamon powder and rose essence.Add lemon juice if desired to stop crystallizing of sugar.Transfer it into the sugar pan and immerse it for 2 to 3 minutes.


Garnish with sliced almonds,saffron and serve hot.Enjoy!!



SCRIBBLED NOTES:
  • Adding lemon juice stops the sugar from crystallizing.Don't add too much because it will change the taste of jangiri
  • Add few tablespoons of water while grinding if you find it difficult to grind.

35 comments:

  1. Super Nisha, Iam a great fan of Jangiri. Please send me some. It looks yummy and delicious...
    http://priyas-virundhu.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Nisha!Jangiri looks perfect ,you have good control over the dough to get those close spirals. Btw I am not getting any of ur post updates in my blogger reading lists donoo why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you so much Meena..:-) am not sure what's going on with my post updates,but will sort out soon and will let u know :-)

      Delete
    2. Hey, I have been wondering too. And I thought I must have been missing your posts somehow. I don't think I'm getting them on the reader.

      That apart, I love how you have shaped them so perfectly Nisha. I could never have done this :)

      One question - My grand dad used to get us some yellow er,jalebis?jangiris? from a shop. They had a slight sourness to them which I used to love. Also, while they would be crisp for a few days, they would sort of become soft after that. Are your jangiris similar to them? (Or do you have a recipe for those yellow things?) Sorry that my comment ran long! My love for those yellow things are responsible for this ;)

      Delete
    3. Thanks priya,I guess you are talking about jalebis.Jalebis ahave some sourness in them.I do have a recipe in my blog for it.Moreover,My Jangiris were crispy at first,then it did became soft.Heard that adding more rice flour makes it crispy for a long time.

      Delete
    4. :( am not sure priya whatz happening with the posts.will try to sort out soon...

      Delete
  3. Hallo Nisha... I was working at indian restaurant before, but never knew Jangiri before. It looks really nice with the spirals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...Jangiri looks perfect ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. super cute..big fan of jangiri

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to tell the truth. Firstly I buy this dessert and enjoy them. Secondly never ever made it in my entire life. But there is also a starting point of getting to the jangiri - that being making at home for and enjoying such amazing jangiri. I am trilled, I am excited and I am lining up this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Navanee...:) Do let me know how it turned out when you make it :)

      Delete
  7. Jangiris look amazing!!! Thanks for sharing Nisha :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so professional. You are a pro lady:)
    I love them but have never tried to make. Your inspiring pics telling me to give it a try.

    http://goodeatstostyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dear Megha...Do give it a try,am sure u would love it :-)

      Delete
  9. Following u now :) WOuld love to see you visit/follow my blog http://goodeatstostyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow tempting :)Keep visiting www.merrytummy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shweta for coming around...:-)

      Delete
  11. Great...perfectly done....

    Today's recipe: http://www.7aumsuvai.com/2013/04/paanagam.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much shanthi for visiting my space...:-)

      Delete
  12. jangris just Yummy n mouthwatering!!luv dat glasses.
    MAHA

    ReplyDelete
  13. we called it imarati in north india....perfectly made....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh,Nice to know abt it bhawna and thank you so much for visiting my blog...:-)

      Delete
  14. Love Jangri and you have made it super good and perfect dear, happy to be your new follower :) will come back to visit more of your delicacies :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much divya for dropping by my space :-) You are always welcome dear:-)

      Delete
  15. Very appetizing :)

    Carrot and Paneer- Dish it out event announcement
    http://kitchenista-welcometomykitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi ,Thank you so much for your valuable comments.